Capital of tourist sights this vibrant city is steeped in culture and history. With the beautiful architecture of the buildings and the great tourist sights it ‘s a perfect place to visit either in the summer or the winter months.
Here are our top five things to see in Moscow:
- The Kremlin – One of the city’s most historic sights, a walled fortress that is the official residence of the President of Russia. Enclosed in its walls are also four palaces and four cathedrals!
- Saint Basil’s Cathedral – Famous for its ‘onion’ domes this fantastic cathedral is located in Red Square. The design of the building is like none other in Russia.
- Tretyakov Gallery – Here you can admire Russia’s finest works of art. See collections ranging from the 11th to the early 20th century.
- Iberian Gate and Chapel – You will find the gate and chapel nestled in between the City Hall and the State Historical Museum. Both had a complete rebuild in 1994-1996 due to them being demolished in 1931, to make way for large military vehicles.
- Alexander Garden – Situated along the west Kremlin wall this was one of Moscow’s first public parks. One of the status in the park is the ‘Tomb of the Unknown Solider’ which has an eternal flame burning. The flame was brought from the Field of Mars in Lenningrad.
Embrace this cosmopolitan city and in between sightseeing head to a coffee bar for a quick caffeine boost.
Have you been to Moscow? What are your favourite places to visit?