Need an escape from World Cup fever, then take a trip to a Ljubljana. The capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana is a relatively new destination for city breaks and you can grab yourself some bargain cheap flights, but be quick as this hidden gem is sure to become a popular tourist spot very soon!
Ljubljana accommodation caters for all budgets, you can book a quaint bed and breakfast, lively youth hostel or plush hotel. Perfect for a weekend getaway the city is packed full of interesting sights and fun things to do. Here are our favourite places to visit in Ljubljana.
• Ljubljana Castle – Perched on the hillside looking over the city
• Dragon Bridge – Decorated with a large dragon statue that became the symbol of the capital
• Tivoli Mansion – Neoclassical style mansion located in the grounds of Tivoli Park
• Saint Nicholas Cathedral – Romanesque church with a green dome
• Robba Fountain – Located in the town square opposite the beautiful Town Hall
After a day of taking in the city delights enjoy the nightlife that this vibrant city has to offer. The city has a wide variety of venues too choose from. Enjoy a romantic meal for two, sample the local beer in a traditional pub or dance the night away at one of the funky clubs.
With a car hire in Ljubljana you are free to explore the surrounding area. Lake Bled is a unique emerald green glacial lake. The small island in the middle has a church and a medieval castle. Visit the Caves of the Kras region. Skocjan cave is the largest and is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Do take a sweater though as this cave is cold at 12c throughout!
So, what are you waiting for? Get your suitcase packed and head for Ljubljana!
Have you ever been to Ljubljana before? Would you ever go back? Tell us what you think!